When NASA says “We are not alone” what do we think? Would your interest be spiked if I tell that the same thing has been said thousands of years ago by a sage called parasarar?
We all live on Earth which is called “Bhúr-loka” (or Bhu-Loka). There are 6 more lokas above us which form a higher level of existence. They are
- Bhur-Loka – Inhabited by us-Humans
- Bhuvar-Loka – Sphere of Sky right above us
- Swar-Loka – Planetary sphere where Devas and Indira live
- Mahar-Loka – inhabited by saintly souls – This is the intermediary Loka in between the lower 3 lokas and the upper 3 lokas.
- Jana-Loka – Sanandana and other pure minded sons of Brahma reside here
- Tapo-Loka – inhabited by the deities called Vaibhrájas
- Satya-Loka – This is inhabited by souls which never again know death and Brahma
The Vishnu Puranam dwells in detail about the distances between each loka and what actually exists in between them. That’s for another post though.
Now below us, we have
These are the regions that are inhabited by Yakshas, Rakshasas, Pisasas, Pretas and Bhutas. Then we have Naraka(m) or hell.
That is not all. If you consider this whole system as an egg (or Andam) then there are the following layers of coatings, starting with Water and encompassed by layers of Agni(fire), Air(Vayu), Mind and Intellect. AND there ends the boundaries of one egg.
There are thousands and thousands of such eggs in the cosmos, with each egg having its own Brahma for creation and other celestial beings for performing their own duties.
The next time we hear someone say “We are not alone”, let us not laugh at that, but introspect a little to see how small a speck we are in the whole scheme of things.